Training programme slider pic
Teacher Training Programme
A corpus-aided teacher training programme was delivered to pre- and in-service language teachers at the Education University of Hong Kong in Oct-Nov, 2019. Training materials are provided in this webpage for free access.
The training programme tends to help language teachers to:
- discover common pronunciation features produced by non-Chinese (e.g. Southeast Asian speakers), mainland Chinese and Cantonese speakers of English and reflect on their own pronunciation;
- identify recurrent segmental and suprasegmental difficulties in learners’ English pronunciation with different language backgrounds; and
- understand possible remedies that may reduce or eliminate English pronunciation difficulties and raise awareness of the issues on achieving a native-like pronunciation or a comfortable, intelligible accent.
- Definition of Corpus, Spoken Corpus types
- Overview of Phonetics and Phonology
- Pronunciation features
- Our corpus
- Selected findings from corpus-based research
- Hands-on practice of corpus concordances
- Understanding acoustic properties of the suprasegmental features
- Integration of corpus data into pronunciation teaching